Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mr. Garcia

Back in highschool we had an AMAZING calculus teacher named Mr. Garcia. He had a thick Cuban accent, and all he cared about was Calculus, the AP Calculus exam, and Calculus. He called everyone "Mr./Miss So and So" and he was goofy and funny but at the same time one of the most frightening people I have ever encountered. When his former students would come back to visit him, he rarely remembered their names but always remembered what they got on the AP exam...

Since I'd had Mr. Garcia for summer school pre-calculus, not only was I extra prepared for his Calculus class, but I was also not afraid of him... or at least I didn't act it. I aced everything, so he loved me, but I talked way too much and acted like a clown a lot, so he hated me. Most of my highschool teachers thought I was a pain in the ass. I really was. Most of them liked me regardless.

My fondest memory of Mr. Garcia: one day we were given time to work on a problem and I was done with it quickly. He had probably told us to stay quiet or something (can't remember) but I turned around to talk to my friend behind me and, while involved in conversation, I suddenly felt myself moving. The teacher was so annoyed at me that he dragged my desk/chair, with me in it, to the corner of the classroom. The uproar of laughter from my peers was huge. I was shocked! He made me sit there the whole class period. "Meeeees Khawand, you will sit here and face the wall. This way you have no one to talk to."

I've never been so embarassed and amused at the same time.

He was one of the greatest teachers I've ever had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mr. GarcĂ­a too! :-)

Jose

Anonymous said...

I love apple Jizz