Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Is it really always sunny in Phuladelphia? Great, cause I'm sure the place is a death trap when it turns dark!

Just got back from a med school interview there.

Ummm....yeahhhh

I guess it's nice and urban and I can see that people love it (still working on understanding why). I am on the fence on whether or not I could like it. Yes, that fence with all the graffiti on it. Yes, the one near the sidewalk with all the litter. Yes, the one near the subway station that reeks of urine and cigarette smoke, and that appears to be flourishing with all kinds of disease and yuck.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating. Or MAYBE I'm just spoiled, living in my apartment in Northwest DC. Ah, Washington, DC, with its sexy metro and its clean sidewalks. I think it has spoiled me. And to think, when I moved here, I was worried about being on a bus at 8 pm. Now that's no big deal. In Philly I would not be on the street past 5 pm unaccompanied by a linebacker-sized bodyguard. I'm slightly paranoid.

BUT, the school was really great. Great students, plus the opportunity to get more hands on experience than pretty much any other school in the country (public hospital!)

I'll keep the stubby fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Andre said...

"...a linebacker-sized bodyguard..."

Aldo, perhaps...?

I just love being an instigator.

How's it goin', Mari?

Marianita said...

You really do, don't you?

I guess you and Aldo have a lot more in common than I thought. Aldo's the name, harassment's the game.

He's not Linebacker-esque. Although in highschool I believe he played D-line or something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, Aldo...

He can be my body guard, I can be his long lost pal....(Pop quiz: what song am I referencing?)

DobyD said...

you guys need to stop talking about awsome me and get a life guys.




Ll cool J