Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Incubus- Morning View
Warning

Bat your eyes girl
Be otherworldly
Count your blessings
Seduce a stranger
What's so wrong with being happy?
Kudos to those who see through sickness

When she woke in the morning
She knew that her life had passed her by
And she called out a warning
Don't ever let life pass you by

I suggest we learn to love ourselves
Before it's made illegal
When will we learn?
When will we change?
Just in time to see it all fall down
Those left standing will make millions
Writing books on the way it should have been

When she woke in the morning
She knew that her life had passed her by
And she called out a warning
Don't ever let life pass you by

Floating in this cosmic jacuzzi
We are like frogs oblivious
To the water starting to boil
No one flinches
We all float face down

When she woke in the morning
She knew that her life had passed her by
And she called out a warning
Don't ever let life pass you by


Amazing song! I took a study break (naughty, naughty!)

This song came on as part of my "Study Mix 3" playlist, and I just *had* to look up the lyrics.

Then, as though the impending doom that is Physiology Exam 2 were nonexistent, I went on to read people's interpretations. Besides the obvious "live in the moment" message in the song, people had some interesting ideas...

-She = mother earth; the song's about global warming.

-The song's about the gradual decay of society as a whole and the fact that most people deny/ignore it (or something like that). The boiling frog metaphor is probably what inspired this interpretation.

and, finally, if Sigmund Freud were alive and 15 years old again, he'd say:

-The song is about having sex...

This guy clearly heard/read the first five lines and saw "seduce a stranger" and "what's so wrong with being happy?"

I thought it was kinda funny... While the whole song clearly can't be about getting a girl in bed, it's a semi-valid interpretation that kind of ties back to the "seize the moment" stuff. But I'd like to see Sigmund explain the boiling frog analogy having to do with knocking boots.

I'm not going to say anyone's right or wrong, or slack off more by talking about my interpretation. All I'll say is that this song is amazing.

...and...

Incubus is possibly one of the best bands of all time!

Good night, and good luck not letting your life pass you by.

2 comments:

Lane said...

Speaking of the frog in the water, I'm going to see Al Gore speak tonight.

Marianita said...

OMG! That's awesome!

I still haven't seen his movie (I know, I know... I'm a slacker!)

let me know how it goes!