Sunday, February 04, 2007

Game Night Part Trois

So... last night I had the intention of staying in and studying for neuroanatomy. Instead, I had people over for game night. At the end of the night there were ten of us, yelling and competing.

Maybe it was only me yelling...

These "game nights" bring out my game face, game attitude. I don't take losing well. I'm even worse when I win.

I believe this comes from growing up with my brother, Christopher (who I lovingly nicknamed Christina). I don't know if I ever had that typical jealouy thing happen when he was born. I do know that I was always determined to beat him at everything. Video games, card games, scrabble, monopoly, and backgammon. And beat him I did. This inflated my head dramatically. We did not have cable, so we played a lot more games than the average kid. We also didn't always have the latest game console. Classic Nintendo, we did have. It was yet another thing I beat him at.

Note: After highschool my brother started playing online scrabble obsessively. Since then, I haven't been able to beat him. Sigh. Before that, the only person who ever beat me was my dad.

In highschool, I found myself in a situation where all of my friends were pretty smart guys. Nerds, if you will. My attitude, aggressiveness, competetiveness helped me win a lot of games. It also really really really pissed my good friend Kennett off, to the point where he didn't want to speak to me for a while. To this day, he refuses to play Risk or pretty much any game with me. I'm like a big football player who scores a touchdown and dances in the sidelines. Minus the billions of dollars and the big muscles.

So I realize that being this way annoys people. I tried really hard to stop. Then something called "Halo" came into my life. Wow. I have never met another girl who was as good at this game as I am or was, except maybe Monica at times. When Aldo would obliterate me at this game, it made me want to punch him in the face sometimes. I wish I could say this wasn't true. But, alas, I could not handle being beaten so much, so badly. To this day I can't play Halo one-on-one with him, because I know how it will end (bloody).

Nowadays, I don't get upset, but I still get loud and excited. Especially for Catch Phrase, which is like Taboo but you pass the list of words back and forth and when the timer buzzes, the team with it in their hands loses. It's really fun, but high stress. Women are significantly better at this game, since we've got better communication skills, ESP, and boobies. It's killer when you have a guy on your team who sucks at the game. It makes your head almost explode.

We played a lot of Catch Phrase last night. I'm surprised I stil have my voice today.

We also played Apples to Apples. This game is made for like, 12 year olds but it's a lot of fun.

The last game we played is the bane of my existence: Trivial Pursuit. I really don't like this game. Luckily for me, I was on a team with two people who know their stuff. Yay for them. The rest of us just rode their coat tails, pretty much. I did contribute a couple of answers, so I wasn't completely worthless. Anyway, the stupid game wouldn't end and the opposite team pretty much gave us our winning point. Not an honorable win. These wins completely supress my desire to celebrate. Maybe that's a good thing. I wouldn't have been sore if we lost Trivial Pursuit, though, cause it's a dumb game.

Everyone left at 2 am, which is a lot later than usual for Game Night. I couldn't sleep so I watched The 40 Year Old Virgin. Funny stuff! I think I finally fell asleep at around 5:00 AM. I woke up at 1:00 PM. Devastating. I hope my anatomy coloring book will help me learn this crap. If not, at least I'll get some practice staying inside the lines.

In the end, I really enjoy having people over. These are the times I wish I was rich, because then I could make elaborate parties with great Mariana snacks and cocktails. Too bad I'm a poor student. I still make an incredible cheese dip (recipe courtesy of AJB).

Anyway, it's Superbowl Sunday, and the Superbowl is in Miami (home, warm home)! Wow, the traffic must be completely unbearable. I am forbidding myself from going to any Superbowl parties, no matter how tempting. I'll just watch it here, all alone and lonely :(

I hope the commercials are good this year!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

.

Marianita said...

Oh, thank you for that insightful comment, Anonymous. I see your POINT...

Gosh, I crack myself up.