Sunday, September 17, 2006

EMBRYOS EVERYWHERE!

It's crazy what staying indoors all day on a Saturday, drinking approximately 6 cups of coffee, and studying embrology all day can do to a person....

Mind: sluggish
Body: twitching
Time: 2:56 am

Should be sleeping.


The studying may seem out of control or exaggerated, but it's actually a mild case of too little, too late. I'm probably exaggerating. Whatever. I don't really have anything better to do.

If only the day was dedicated entirely to studying, I would be satisfied. But alas! Unexpected events, telephone calls, and shiny objects distracted me.

-Unexpected events: eating food and using the restroom (which happens a lot when you drink 6 cups of coffee); I did not include time for these silly things in the strict schedule I made

-Telephone calls: scattered throughout the day; one particularly time-consuming call with the woman whose uterus I occupied for nine months. As an embryo, my syncytiotrophoblast cells burrowed into her endometrium..............yeah, I need to get to bed.

-Shiny objects: The internet (blogger, facebook, myspace, email, AIM, etc), and pretty much everything that WASN'T the embryology textbook, syllabus, powerpoints, and student notes (yes, we have all of those resources. Isn't that neat?)

One shiny object of note which distracted me for quite some time is the book "The Prophet," by Khalil Gibran. The apartment I am renting belongs to a young married couple, who left their furniture and many, many books. Lots of great books here, including Slaughterhouse V, a few Ayn Rand books, Catcher in the Rye, A Wrinkle in Time (one of my favorites as a kid) and much, much more.

"The Prophet" is great. I will write more about it when I don't have a mega-terrifying embryology exam coming up.

Tomorrow is a new day. I will emerge from my hermit-like existence to get some groceries, maybe go to the gym. Then I will hit the books. No I'm not using figurative language. I'm literally going to hit them...or throw them against the wall, perhaps?

I've got about 6 more lectures to study. That can be done in 6 hours if I stop jerkin' around.

For now, it is time to attempt sleeping. I will drink some sleepytime tea and maybe study myself to sleep.

Bonne Nuit, Buenas Noches, Good Night.

No comments: