Friday, January 26, 2007

Once again, not my idea of an ideal blog topic....

There is something wrong with me.

For about 1.5 weeks now, I have reverted to a bitch-like state. At least once a day, something makes my blood boil. You'd think that's a good thing, considering the weather, but it's really not.
I don't like this, blogging complaints and stuff. But I feel I must.

I don't know what's wrong with me lately, but I've been pretty irritable. Perhaps it's the excessive amount of caffeine? Anxiety of getting in to medical school? The incredibly important and frightening physiology exam (Monday, January 29) that I should be studying for instead of blogging? (And to all those stupid guys out there, NO IT IS NOT PMS. I hate it when guys just throw that acronym out there, as though they could even begin to know how annoying it is. UGH!) See? Look at how bitchy I am! Plus, PMS wouldn't THIS long. That would be a cruel, cruel joke.

Anyway, I am really really irritable for no good reason.

Take, for example, today. Today we had a "review" for the exam. Two hours of the teacher making us feel as though we know nothing by giving convoluted explanations to simple problems. A friend asked me to take notes for him, and so the pressure to take good notes was quadrupled, of course. So, I'm trying my best to take awesome notes, for myself and my friend, and I find myself frustrated, unable to get everything down. To make matters worse, the two girls sitting behind me decided to chat it up.... LOUDLY. And the worst thing is, they were giggling about boys (what an unworthy topic!) Ten minutes into it I thought my head was going to explode. The last sentence in my notes reads something like "the action potential is slowed... I missed the rest because there are people behind me talking loudly." The slight relief came when I saw that most of my classmates left the review early (good indication of its worthlessness). I stuffed my laptop in my backpack and stormed out. It took a good 10 minutes for me to calm down and get over it. The combination of not understanding anything the teacher was saying, the pressure of taking notes for my friend, and those annoying chatty mac chattersons behind me just really really got to me.

Now, those who know me well have experienced my firey temper at one point or another (I know Aldo's reading this saying YUUUUUP). But, I'd say I've improved greatly over the past couple of years. I've learned to not get so upset over silly things. I learned to control my scary temper. I learned to not sweat the small stuff. Now, I'm not saying it NEVER happened, but I generally saved the rage for stuff that was sort of a big deal, and it was significantly more controlled. Most people I interact with on a daily basis have no idea what kind of beast lingers behind this big cheesy smile.

But lately, I feel like I've gone back... waaaay back.

Sidenote: I'd be a hypocrite extraordinaire if I said that I never talk in class. And my voice really carries- a lot. Now, I'm not saying I'd be as annoying as the girl behind me was being today, but I am admitting that there have been days where I may have been disruptive in class. For this reason, I'm usually way more forgiving about people chatting it up around me in class. I'm not shy, I'll throw out a "SHHHHHHHHHHHH" if it gets ridiculously loud... but today I didn't have the balls to do it. Maybe cause one of the girls is actually nice, I've talked to her a couple of times, and I'm not one to confront and piss people off like that, either (in other words, I'm a pussy). Plus, it was her friend being loud.

I digress. The point is, any other day I'd deal with that situation just fine... moving seats if I had to (maybe a little bit of eye-rolling). But today, I just couldn't handle it with even a molecule of grace.

It's been like this for the past 1.5 weeks or so, and I don't like it. Every morning, I tell myself that I will be in a good mood all day, but somewhere between breakfast and getting to school I forget it all. I even tried the "force yourself to smile and then you'll feel better" thing. Nope. Nothing.

I find that I'm happy/relaxed when I'm cooking, though. I also noticed a few weeks ago that I really enjoy cleaning things... I realized this when I was cleaning the stove. I took apart all the take-apartable parts and cleaned them well, and the stove was shiny, and my soul was shiny too.

Combine these symptoms with the undeniable desire to be around babies all day, and all I can think of is that I am SO ready to be a bitchy barefoot and pregnant housewife.

NOT!

But I really do like cooking and cleaning.

I'm hoping that this whole psycho Mariana alter-ego will disappear soon. I've also been having lots of weird dreams (none as weird as the boob job one, though). It's not that they're really that weird, it's more that they are so realistic. Vivid. And I can recount so many details from them. They flow smoothly, they lack the usual lucidity and disjointedness (is that a word?) that dreams usually have.

My self diagnosis:

I have a condition known as "awesomitis." Since birth, I have been producing more of the awesomeness protein than the average human, and my body finally can't keep up with it all, so it's reacting negatively.

The remedy: it has been shown that awesomitis symptoms will be exacerbated during periods of high stress, but the consumption of chocolate and fried foods such as onion rings will significantly decrease the occurence and severety of symptoms.

So there. Problem solved (sort of). In the meantime, don't look at me wrong. As a matter of fact, don't even talk to me unless I initiate conversation. Ok? THAAAANKS.

One more thing. I really like physiology even though it's making me crazy. It's so interesting. We learned about electrocardiograms and I thought that was so cool.

Ok leave me alone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"and the stove was shiny, and my soul was shiny too. "

kthxbye

Anonymous said...

moving right along now...

just remember rule #6!

David said...

"I don't like this, blogging complaints and stuff"

Hello! I started my blog just to have a place to bitch.

"about boys (what an unworthy topic!)"

Hello again!! Maybe not a boy you know and definitely not me but somewhere some place there's a boy worthy. Of this I'm almost sure. Well almost might be to strong a word, but probably.... somewhere.

"ready to be a bitchy barefoot and pregnant housewife."

Hello for the third time!!! Not true, while pregnant women can be bitchy many of them do in fact wear shoes. It's a fact, check it.

Seriously, I'm not creeping you out by reading your blog am I? Seems you already have a person doing the creepy thing.

Marianita said...

Fear not, caveman.

Anonymous # 1 is a friend from highschool, Anonymous # 2 is a boy worth talking about, and you're not creeping me out so don't sweat it.

About complaining: it is such a NOT fun way to spend your time. My philosophy is: if you don't like something, either CHANGE IT or learn to deal with it.

And anyway, you know what they say, right? Complaints are like assholes- everyone has one and they always stink. Wait... that doesn't make as much sense as I thought it would. It works better for excuses and opinions.

Well, to argue a little bit with myself, I'll admit that venting can be a good thing... so a little bit of complaining here and there could possibly be helpful in ultimately dealing with a problem. So there. Hooray for complaining.

Oh... and "boys" are an unworthy topic- particularly when people around you are trying to listen to the teacher with the heavy accent explain cardiac arrhythmias for an upcoming exam which very well may determine your acceptance or rejection from medical school. I mean, if you want to be all giddy and talk loudly about some boy that gave you 2 minutes of attention (and who probably doesn't really like you, but just wants to get laid) do it at the cafeteria, not behind me in class!!!

Pshhhh...

David said...

LOL!

Oh sweet innocent young girl. How little you know. I bet you wanted to be a fairy princes when you were young too, didn't you. But someone along the way ruined it for you by telling you the truth. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. When you get older complaining is the only thing life leaves you after is pounds, kicks and stomps all the good stuff out of you. And that's if your lucky. Of course I'm only kidding, life is a bowl of endless pitiless cherries (no not really).

I wasn't talking about those anonymous up there ^ I was talking about the creepy one a few post v down that way :)

Oh and something about me; I'm full of it so ignore 98% of what I say. You'll recognize the 2% when you see it :)

Marianita said...

"Not true, while pregnant women can be bitchy many of them do in fact wear shoes. It's a fact, check it."

That comment = good indication of your bullshit:seriousness ratio.

About the creepy anonymous dude way back, I found it that it was just a friend trying to freak me the hell out. And freak me the hell out he did!

Anyway, I don't see why you're calling me an innocent fairy princess, you hairy neanderthal.

: )

I am, by no means, in a sugar coated world that I see through rose-colored lenses. It's more like, I have admitted that the world SUCKS, but I have accepted it and I am determined to make the best of it. I'm freakin' Princess Positivity.

No wait. I don't like the thought of being a "fairy princess." I've never been the princess type. Queen is better but not quite. I'd say, since I was younger (and until now), I've always dreamed of being a fairy commander. Or just a commander.

My bullshit:seriousness ratio is also a bit hig, in case you didn't notice.

David said...

Then we agree, we're both full of shit!