Sunday, November 12, 2006

Yesterday...

All my troubles seemed so far away?

No no...

Yesterday, 4 fellow classmates and I volunteered at the Maryland vs Miami game to raise money for our class. We donned yellow jackets and were part of the "CSC event staff" that you see all over the place at football games.

When I heard about this volunteering opportuinity, I was so excited. I love sporting events. The energy of the crowd, the people you see, and the sheer stupidity and craziness just do something for me. When I found out the Canes would be playing, I was even more excited.

At first, I was put as a ticket-taker. This proved to be lots of fun and very tiring. I got a couple of "I love you" and "Hey baby" ticket holders. I also got to be a huge disgrace to the Maryland stadium by saying "Go Canes" to all the UM fans that came in. Too bad we lost : (

After the first quarter, there isn't such a high demand for ticket takers, and so we were instructed to go to the field. Some people are placed on the field and required to face the crowd, make sure no one's getting too rowdy. I was lucky enough to be placed on the field with another girl, standing on either side of the ESPN camera man, making sure people didn't pass in front of his camera. This translated into: I could watch the game from an endzone- the endzone where Miami should've scored that touchdown but kicked the last fieldgoal instead. (sigh).

Seriously, it was awesome to be on the field! And the best part about it, it was free for me and it went to help raise money for my class to have kickass parties. I am surprised more fellow students didn't come out.

After the game we had to stand around the tunnel for the Terp football players. They came out after a while and greeted family and girlfriends. It was interesting to watch this, but I was tired as hell.

Although it is extremely tiring, I will probably do this volunteer thing every time the opportunity presents itself. In the spring we will probably do this at concerts, which is even better than sports for me!

2 comments:

Andre said...

Dude, I'm jealous. Whenever I watch my beloved Wolverines pound on people, I've gotta pay for it (thank God for eBay. It costs a fortune to visit the Big House otherwise).

I guess that goes to show that volunteering and giving of yourself has its own reward. *Cue the violins*

Marianita said...

Beloved Wolverines. Yuck.

j/k

I really enjoy bugging people about their favorite college football teams. It's so much fun!