Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I am a friggin dummy.

So far, the most embarassing moment of my Georgetown existence (which is slightly over 3 months old) occured yesterday. During a break between biochemistry lectures (we get two in a row-oh the inhumanity!) some friends and I went on a coffee run. On the way back, I did my usual: touch-the-door-before-touching-the-handle-in-order-to-avoid-getting-shocked-by-the-handle move. You know what I'm talking about, right? It happens more often in dry weather... you're walking along on a nice carpet, and you reach over and touch something made of metal, and zzzzz you get zapped. I HATE THAT SHIT! When I worked for my dad, it used to happen to me with the big metal file cabinet, and my dad taught me that if I touched the wall (or something nonmetallic) before touching the file cabinet, I wouldn't get shocked. Well, I've gotten myself into the habit of doing it on every door lately, since DC is kind of getting dry and I've been zapped a couple of times.

Where was I? OH YEAH... so upon returning from the coffee break, I was walking briskly and therefore well ahead of my friends, putting me in the position to open the classroom door for them. I did my usual touch something nonmetal before touching the handle, and one friend, who always makes fun of me for this move, let out a little giggle. This, for some reason, made me blurt out "I HATE YOU" in my booming voice just as we were entering the classroom (population: approximately 150 students). Unfortunately for me, lecture had already begun, and was being given by, of all people, THE HEAD OF OUR PROGRAM WHO IS SUPER IMPORTANT! Everyone heard it, and lots of people turned around. The lecturer didn't so much as flinch, but I am sure he noticed and he probably made the mental note of "do NOT let that girl into Georgetown medical school." We were told in the beginning of the year to treat this year as if it were a "year-long interview." WELL THEN. I sure messed that one up!

Moral of the story: don't tell people you hate them in a loud, booming voice as you are entering a classroom in which class has potentially begun (and is being taught by someone extra important).

So that was yesterday. Today we got free pizza and so we were all up there on the terrace, hanging out. Lots of people made it a point to remind me how hilarious it was that I yelled "I HATE YOU" during Dr. Myer's lecture. Yeah. Super funny.

Honestly though, I can't help but laugh at myself.

I must say, this is not the first time I've embarassed myself this way. Once in highschool, during physics lecture, I wrote in huge letters "I WILL KILL YOU" on a paper and held it up for my friend to see. The teacher saw it, thought it was directed toward HIM, and freaked out a bit. Sigh. Such is my fate... to look like a complete ass in front of important people.

Signing off,
The spaz.

3 comments:

Andre said...

*Shakes my head*

Good God, woman.

But, I guess it could've been worse. This could've happened during an exam.

Lesson learned.

DobyD said...

Loser

DobyD said...

or should i say lewho Zeherrrr!