Friday, May 25, 2007

Big ups to my little bro Danny... He won a medal for being the top math student, and he got a score of 5 out of 5 on his FCAT in math. FCAT = Florida's Comprehensive Assessment Test. It's awful. In high school we had weeks of "FCAT preparation" because apparently, having a high average score for the school was more important than learning.

At any rate, I'm proud of the kid. He's got so much potential! And even though he's in his awkward puberty stage, he is still adorable.

In other news, I held a last minute bake sale yesterday. The thought of it not being successful actually stressed me out (a lot). It's this ridiculous perfectionism that propels me to stress for no good reason. I guess it's kind of a weakness and a strength. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough/too much goods to sell, not enough people would buy the stuff, I wouldn't make much money, it would be time wasted, I didn't have enough help... the list goes on. Actually, it was a LOT of fun. I sold every last crumb. I had good help, and we banked! We made about 140 bucks!!! All proceeds are going toward the purchase of bed nets for children in Kenya; these nets help prevent malaria infection at the time it's most likely to occur (at night).

It feels nice to do stuff like that.

There is officially one week of classes left. Then an exam on June 4th, and a banquet on June 6th. It's friggin' sad, I'm not gonna lie.

Everyone's starting to find out where they will go to med school or IF they will go to med school next year. For some people, it's the most stressed out they've ever been in their lives. I feel terrible for them but these are the things that make us stronger.

I can't help but remember this time last year, I was on my way to Lebanon (or maybe I had just arrived), completely uncertain of what life had in store for me. I had been rejected from med school, and lots of other not so wonderful things were going on. I was completely uncertain about whether or not I really wanted medicine. I got accepted to this Georgetown program and couldn't help but wonder if it would be worth it or not. About $50,0000 later, I can say this has been an amazing year- completely worth it. I am sure I want to go to med school, and I'm happy. Last year there is no way I could've imagined that things would brighten up the way they did.

Speaking of bright, the sun is shining and I want to get outside! I should study or clean the apartment, but "should" is not a fun word, now is it?

1 comment:

DobyD said...

no its not!