Thursday, August 31, 2006

Some people are just negative Nancies all the time. Always criticizing. They stink.

You know what I mean, jelly bean?

Come on, you know. That one person who's always got something negative to say, thus revealing his or her unhappiness with him/herself, or with life, or both.

The worst is when they have no clue that they suck so much. The worstest worst are the ones who seem nice, just cause they're soft-spoken and friendly, but they're actually "faking the funk with a nasty dunk" (as my friend Randi used to say). Well, newsflash, they're not nice. Not at all. They're just the way they are because they are spineless. No self esteem. Insecure.

Let me take a moment to point out that at one point in my life, I was an insecure girl with no self esteem. Unhappy with life, with myself, but that's all in the past, in the world of teenage angst and identity crises. And so, I empathize with these people. It does not, however, change the fact that they suck.

It reminds me of a good quote by Bertrand Russell, an excellent philosopher:

"The good life, as I conceive it, is a happy life. I do not mean that if you are good you will be happy - I mean that if you are happy you will be good." ---Bertrand Russell

I truly believe this.

Some other good quotes by him related to happiness are:

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."

AND

"If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have a paradise in a few years."

I think all of these quotes are from his book "The Conquest of Happiness." He has some very interesting works including really great arguments against religion. I think everyone should read his work, regardless of what they believe, because he makes some really good points.

I totally went on a tangent there. The point is, those negative people suck. And in a way, it wasn't a tangent. Because the savant/gardner example relates to the people I'm always around; intellectuals who have bright futures, individuals for whom knowledge is a burden. The next quote just shows that the people to whom this post is dedicated are EXACTLY the ones who are sitting around desiring "the unhappiness of others" instead of their own happiness. See. I'm not random. Hah!

So I realize there's a little bit of irony in this post since I am critizing people for criticizing people.

Gosh! I hate hypocrisy!!!

But seriously, I am not trying to criticize anyone. I'm just saying that what they do to themselves and those around them is just unnatural and unnecessary. I pity them. And they STINK!

No comments: