Sunday, December 31, 2006

Random Stuff

The Office is one of the best shows ever. One of my all-time favorites, for shizzle. Yes. I watched every episode, EVER, during the Holiday break. That translates into: I was a lazy fat ass during the whole break.
Anyway, the show is good comedy, with a little bit of romance here and there. Steve Carell's character, Michael Scott, is so obnoxious that he's loveable. He constantly makes pop culture references in an attempt to be funny and cool. He's really really really abrasive sometimes. It's too funny.
Dwight is my absolute favorite, though! He's an Uber-Dork. I could go on and on and on about this show, but I shouldn't. Just watch it!!!

During the Holiday Break, I went to the BODIES exhibition (second time) with my buddies Monica and Randi. It is incredible!!! Super cool! Totally Rad! (there you go, Joe!) There's a lot of controversy surrounding the exhibit because the bodies are those of Chinese prisoners and it is questionable whether or not the individuals on display consented to have their bodies preserved and put out there for the world to see. Yada yada yada, it's a really cool exhibition! You get to see lots of bodies with different sections cut, giving a very good idea of the orientation of the organs, etc. Also there are glass cases with clinical examples, such as a smoker's lung and the brain of a stroke patient. Very interesting!!! The pic on the right is an example of what we saw. Disclaimer: This exhibit, though tastefully done, is not for the squeamish or easily freaked out.

Moving right along, today was day 2 of the new semester. Yikes! We are currently only taking one class, Neuroanatomy. It is just a preparation course for the real deal: Neurophysiology. We will be tested on the material, but the class is pass/fail which takes a lot of the motivation out of it (but makes me a little happy). This is my first pass/fail class. Oh, how I hope to end up at a medical school which uses the pass/fail system!!!
Anyway, the neuroanatomy professor is pretty silly sometimes which makes the class slightly more bearable. We are in there for 3 hours each day, looking at images of
the brain and spinal cord and learning about every freaking nerve ever! (Trochlear, hypoglossal, accessory, oh my!)
I like it but I am easily distracted. I zone out once every fifteen minutes. That's 12 times a day! This semester is gonna be tough! But a life with no challenges is no fun, I must say.

Speaking of challenging myself, my newest "thing" is to walk. A lot. Today I walked from school to Chipotle to Dupont Metro
station to my house. Total distance: 5.4 miles. The weather is absolutely sexy and I need the exercise. Yesterday I walked a total of about 4 miles (not all at once). Why spend money on metro fares and bus fares when I have my Chevrolegs? Plus, like I said, I need the exercise. Really.

Back to the weather, it's unusually warm! In Miami the weather was reminiscent of a normal day in June. Here in DC, the weather is like a normal cool winter day in Miami should be. Global warming is breathing down our necks. But heyyyy, let's keep buying SUVs. Let's keep contributing to the hole in the ozone layer. Why the hell not?!?!?

Grrr.

Enough environmentalism.

Today I went to a Mexican restaurant, Lauriol Plaza, with my buddies Jose and
Arjun. We then proceeded to a Hookah bar, where we enjoyed wonderful, delicious apple-flavored shisha. Yummmm. Smoking Hookah (aka "arguileh" in arabic) always reminds me of my spectacularrific summer in Lebanon. *sigh* It was my first time going out since getting back to DC (I've only been here since Wednesday, give me a break!!!) I guess I'm kind of glad to be back. Sort of. Maybe. Ok not really!!! Maybe it's the fact that classes started and I'm still recovering from last semester. Maybe it's the fact that I miss my homies in Miami. Whatever it is, I've got to just suck it up and deal with it!!! Walking around DC for an hour today at least helped me remember that I'm in a pretty nice place, with lots of stuff to do. My next adventure: the National Zoo.

Okay, time to hit the hay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know who this Joe character is - but he sounds like a cool guy!

*ahem* and I don't remember you hating on my SUV when it drove you through Wendy's.

Marianita said...

*ahem* I don't like to get all preachy on people about their choices (you really should consider a smaller car, though!) I'm already annoying enough as it is!

That Joe guy... he's allright. He sucks at Trivial Pursuit. : )