Wednesday, November 28, 2007

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH

Whenever people ask me "is med school like Gray's Anatomy" I want to throw a shit fit. Med school is NOT like Gray's anatomy. Med school is something like Mean Girls crossed with Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Everyone is stressed and angry, there are cliques, people make fun of each other, we're tossing around chunks of dead body, and we are perpetually terrified. There are no McDreamies or McSteamies, just McDonald's or Wendy's, the only kind of food most of us can afford/have time to eat. The only action most of us have gotten in a while is unintentional, as we searched for the hymenal caruncles (remnants of the hymen) or the suspensory ligament of the penis.

The other reason that question bothers me: Grey's Anatomy is a terrible show. I've watched it twice and that's two times too many.

Yesterday we donned our bright blue, poorly fitted, cardboardesque scrubs for one last time and took our final exam.

About 3 months ago we walked into the lab and saw cadavers on their backs, hands neatly folded in front of them. That was a little weird, a little scary, and maybe even gross for some people.

What's left over? A room full of severed body parts; hemisected skulls, hemisected pelvises, and the occasional cross-section of a penis (at least we know what Lorena Bobbit saw). The legs are detached from some bodies. I can't imagine what we would've felt like if we had walked in the first day and seen that.

The nastiest nasty shit (no pun intended) was when there was doo-doo in some of the butts. Feces in the rectum, if you will. Doo-doo on the books, doo-doo on people's lab coats. Ugh.

As much as I loved anatomy, I'm extremely glad it's over. That class required way to much time spent in that lab, inhaling chemicals and coping with my inability to understand things spatially.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when you talk dirty & get graphic you dirty girl you.

David said...

doo-doo in some of the butts

Is that the proper medical term? LOL I swear if you don't work with kids in some way you missed your calling :)

You're a funny gal!

On side note can I use a small picture of your face on my blog? Nothing bad, it should be very funny. If you don't laugh your ass off I'll take it down and never rag on UF again. Deal?

Marianita said...

Cyber: you so silly!

Raw: Go ahead, use a picture. I'm scared.

David said...

Ha! thanks, I posted it :)

Unknown said...

can you take pics? i'd like to see some of that stuff. seriously.

David said...

You must be doing some serious doctoring :)

Merry Christmas!!!