Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What will they think of next?

So I log onto MySpace for no good reason at all, and I find that people who I haven't spoken to in a while have posted comments on my page with links/pictures/videos. I assumed one of them was just a funny you tube video or something, so I click, and what happens? I get redirected to the MySpace log in page. Just as I was about to re-enter my username and password, Firefox popped up with a message, as seen below:


It's kind of tough to make out what the message balloon says. "Suspected forgery" and some long explanation that this site is wack and trying to steal my info.

It's really tough to feel safe on the internet these days. We had an entire one hour lecture during the beginning of orientation about "internet safety" and how our passwords should be insanely complex like, "h4y7U909!$k009" and how we should NEVER store passwords on the computer, bla bla bla.

Damn Phishing scams.

I tested it out on Internet Explorer and it also gave a warning about forgery.

Maybe blogging is just a huge scam used to steal people's opinions, rants, and bad writing. OMG. Maybe scientologists are behind it.

I don't know why I said that. Apparently a lecture was given on campus by the Psychiatry interest group about how Scientologists think they have the right to hurt psychiatrists for some reason. Religion is ridiculous. Why should we live our lives according to what someone else/an institution deems as correct. Bah. Ridiculous.

What if I wanted to be a psychiatrist? I don't want some placenta-eating, multi-alien composed guy coming at me with a chainsaw. Sheesh. Oh. Woah there. Totally politically incorrect of me.

Since Scientologists are running this blogging phishing scam, I'd like all of Scientology to know something important: I do not want to be a Pyschiatrist. I'm going to be an Obstetrician, and I will provide you with more placenta than you can sink your teeth into. Please do not steal my identity, or my thoughts on life as a med school student. KTHXBYE!

4 comments:

heiresschild said...

hi marianita, i come via andre's blog. congratulations on being nominated his "blog of the month." he said some really nice things about you, so i'm checking out your blog today.

last nite, i sent 2 of my friends e-cards thru hallmark for their birthday. they had a warning posted about how cards were being sent, claiming to be from hallmark, when in fact, they're a scam to download a trojan virus onto their computer. hallmark has now changed the way they send info to the recipient, and posted info on how to know when it's a real hallmark card, and how to know when it's not. if only people would put their technological knowledge to good use instead of evil.

my daughter wanted to be an obstetrician ever since she was 7 yrs old, but when she got to her 2nd yr of college, she changed to a Enlish Lit major, and did her undergrad studies in counseling. she used to be a therapist for a private school, now she's doing social work. still with the babies and children, but in a different way. i wish you all of the best in your continuing medical studies.

hmmm, i wonder if tom cruise was one of the scientologists? (joking)

Anonymous said...

You don't need to check the site on Internet Explorer to verify it's scamminess. Just look at the URL:

http://rnyspacei.com/index.cfm.fuseaction=spiash.html

Here's what's wrong:
1. It's not myspace.com!
2. myspace will always have either www before myspace.com or the section name, like profile.myspace.com/...
3. It starts to get a little geeky here, but index.cfm.fuseaction just doesn't make sense. It should always look like this--> pagename.cfm?variable=somevalue
4. Finally, it ends with spiash.html. Obviously these scammers didn't care enough about true authenticity to spell splash correctly, but then again, another technical point.

Thank goodness Firefox has phishing detection though. Because WHO looks at the URL all the time?? I bet tons of MySpace users using the old IE or the old Safari are getting wolfed everyday.

Anonymous said...

that's b/c they're idiots

Marianita said...

Heiress: thanks, I'm honored that I am Andre's blogger of the month!

woah rubes, you know a lot about this stuff!